Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

I stand corrected! On the Pink Palace....


I hate to eat crow - but when you have to, you have to. Roby Robinson, grandson of the Calhouns, contacted us to correct the mistakes in the story told about the Pink Palace. I have edited the post, but the gist of it is that the house was a collaboration between Neel Reid and Philip Shutze, who was a junior draftsman on the job. Need Reid was the primary designer and traveled to Italy several times on buying trips for the house. Shutze was surely involved but not at the level that he later claimed at the end of his life. I stand corrected and now we know the real deal.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, OK. Just happy the house is there and we got to see it. I hope the folks who still remember can get some of the history down on paper or electrons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great way to be corrected - by someone who knows the real scoop! Interesting that I have seen it called 'Shutze's first house'. It's a common misperception.

    After working on my own home, with a fabulous junior architect on the job (Steve Fintak), I think it is very important for all parties involved, both the lead architect and the other talented assistants, to get credit.

    Regardless, it is a treasure and I hope that someone swoops in and preserves it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Mr. Robinson actually told us as well. Holly, I think I am the one who said it was Shutze's first house..." because that is what I read in a house beautiful article. I have also since been corrected by Mr. Robinson. Thank you for working so hard and doing so much research! I am glad you were on the tour, and your daughter might be the cutest thing I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete